Wednesday, February 22, 2012
What's Cooking: Skinny Pizza Rolls
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce or tomato sauce
- 20 pepperonis (turkey pepperonis are healthier)
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil/oregano mix or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of sweetener such as sugar
- pinch of black pepper
- Optional: 1/3 cup chicken breast, diced or 1/3 cup light Italian sausage
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or foil coated with non-stick cooking spray. Gather ingredients.
- Combine pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, seasoning and chicken, or sausage in a bowl. Stir until combined.
- Begin filling wonton wrappers by placing about a tablespoon of filling in the center of each wrapper. You could use a little more or less, just try not to over-fill them, or the filling will ooze out the sides when you are baking them.
- To seal them shut, place your finger in water, trace two of the corners with the water, and fold the wrapper in half to meet the two dry corners with the two wet corners. Press to seal the two sides together. (Note: the water acts like glue to seal the corners shut.)
- When wonton wrappers are filled, give them a light spray with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top of each one. Lay pizza rolls out on prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven (450ºF) for 10-15 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown. Serve or freeze.
Cool completely and store in freezer bags. To serve: Warm in microwave or oven until heated through.